Sunday, December 21, 2008

Cold

There is a cold front moving in, so the temperature has dropped and the wind has picked up. We're under a wind/wind chill warning. Attendance was low this morning, and there were those who wondered why we hadn't canceled worship. I made Daughter walk with me over to the church so I could hang on to her on the icy spots. She couldn't salt them because the wind immediately blew the salt away.
Daughter decided we shouldn't try to go to town today, and I didn't argue. This house is brick, except for the back porch, which was added on. The laundry room and a half bathroom are on the back porch. It's about a mile to the next house west of here. The trees that served as a windbreak died and were removed. In other words we have a wind creating a windchill of about 30 below hitting the back porch. I've got the two electric baseboards back there on as high as they will go, and after I discovered the hot water line had almost frozen completely, I left water running in the sink.
Then Daughter and I came upstairs to watch a movie. She went down to get her meter out of the kitchen, and got an error message-- the meter was too cold to function. With a sinking felling I went downstairs, and sure enough, there is ice in the toilet. The water is on in the kitchen, too. I've even turned the thermostat up a bit-- I had it set at 60 but it was only 58 in the main hall downstairs so I turned it all the way up to 64. Yes, I'm cheap-- and I don't even pay for the heat, the church does.
Daughter's bedroom also faces west. Last night Daughter had two blankets and two comforters on her bed. She wore socks to bed. I suspect she'll need more tonight. Tomorrow I have an appointment for a hair cut, so I'm going to have to go out. Hopefully the power will be back on in Town so I can take care of some other errands I need to run, as well. There is concern that the winds and cold would cause more power failures. Hopefully that won't happen.

2 comments:

Kari said...

I hope you stay warm and have power! We're in the deep freeze here with wind chills in the 30-40 below zero range. Brrr. I'm wearing socks to bed, too!

Reverend Mom said...

Thanks, Kari, I keep checking the thermostat. The furnace isn't keeping up with the cold, but it's managing to hold the temperature at just below 60. With sweats, quilts, and heavy socks, we'll survive. There are still people in the county with no power. I hope they made it to the emergency shelter they've set up. I hope you stay warm, and good luck managing Christmas break and cabin fever. It doesn't sound like fun to me. Hopefully Anna will get her pills down tomorrow.