Sunday, December 28, 2008


This morning I was preaching in my home church. Brother had asked me to do it (he's chair of the worship committee), and we decided it would be a good opportunity to make a video and audio recording of a sermon that I could send out to search committees as I seek a new church. I finalized the sermon this morning, and Brother had told me I could print it out at the church. We were having strong winds this morning. Before I even left the apartment, Brother called. "How important are the hymns you picked?"
"Well, the organist doesn't have power so he won't make it. I've recruited someone to play guitar, but I don't know if he'll be able to do these hymns."
I told him we'd deal with it when I got there. As I drove towards the church, I passed some signal lights that were out. It was spotty, and I wasn't too worried, until the signal light at the major intersection a mile from the church was out. I wondered how I would print out my sermon if the power was out at the church, but a quick call to brother assured me that wouldn't be a problem.
We changed the hymns, the lapel mike wouldn't work, and it was a wonderful service. The kids were great and very talkative during the time with the children. Niece came running up and snuggled in next to me, which was great. There were three people there from a church I have had a phone interview with. When the guitar player got up after the sermon to lead the next hymn, he turned and thanked me for a great sermon. It was a great congregation in which to preach, because they know my family and me, and so are prepared to listen and be positive. Because of that, they listened much more intently. I thought it was good that there were problems, because it demonstrated how flexible I am and how hard it is to fluster me.
Sister, Brother, Mom, and Dad were all there, which was nice. Everyone was really pleased to see Mom and Dad. They hadn't been there in quite a while. We all went out to eat after the service, and it was nice. By the time I got Mom and Dad back here, Dad was exhausted and headed straight to bed for a nap. Daughter and I headed over to Sister's, where my closest friend and her husband came and met us. We had a wonderful visit, and Brother-in-law fixed us a wonderful meal, even though I told him it wasn't necessary, we'd just order a pizza.
Sister and Brother are very anxious for me to move closer to them. I am at peace. I know that the right place will come along at the right time. If it's not this church, it will be another one. I am content to wait on God's time. For now, I am enjoying the memories of a wonderful Sunday, and a supportive family.


Torina said...

What a great idea about recording your sermon to send to search committees! Glad your service went well. I like the ones where things don't go exactly perfect. Makes Sundays a little more memorable :)

Rose Adoption Journey said...

Glad things went well. I was praying for you for your sermon.,....I don't get the chance to preach much here in the south....but when I do, I relish it! God Bless you...

Reverend Mom said...

Thank you both. The prayers helped, as my sermon preparation was much more disjointed this week than usual. Now I can just focus on doing the things Dad needs done.

Munchkin Mom said...

You did have someone with you all along, didn't you? I am so glad it went so very well.