Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Big Decision


This morning I took Dad's car in to see about getting the rear windows fixed. I also asked them to check the brakes. So this afternoon we received the verdict: Dad was looking at about $2,000 worth of repairs. We had just finished at a doctor's appointment when I got the phone call. Dad thought for a minute, and then said, "Let's sell the car." The car is a 2002 with 28,000 miles on it. The problems were basically a result of not being used.


Sister called the service rep to ask about selling the car to the dealership. He said, "The dealership probably wouldn't pay much, but I'd be interested in buying it. Check out the blue book price on line and let me know what you want for it." Sister checked it out, and it looks like the car is worth about $6,000. Dad said, "I'll save money on car insurance and registration now." He seems very much at peace with the decision. We're going to look into getting him a scooter that he can use to go over the cottage and see Mom. He likes that idea, too.


I've been uncomfortable with the idea of him driving for some time. Fortunately, he's not been doing much driving. The most he's done lately is to drive it around the building and over to the cottage. I really don't see him being able to stay in the apartment much longer. He's going to need assisted living. It is getting increasingly difficult for him to get up out of his chair.


Daughter is at my Brother's for the night. She was really excited about the opportunity to go there, and delighted for a night away from Grandad. Dad wanted spaghetti, so I made spaghetti for him this evening. He was very pleased with the results.


No comments: