Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Supportive Family

Today I told Sister that I have diabetes. She was not surprised or shocked, and began to try to remember if she had over or under 50, and since I'm 50, did that count as over or under. It turns out she and Brother have had a bet for years about how old I'd be when I was diagnosed with diabetes. She said they had to modify it because the original bet was over/under 40. She then informed me I'd better tell Brother right away, because she was going to call him to settle up.
I knew he was in training today, so I sent him a text telling him to call me when he had time about my doctor's appointment. He left the training and called immediately. I said, "I can't believe my family would bet on my health!" His voice became excited, and he said, "Oh! You mean you have diabetes?" He was pleased! The funny thing is, he can't remember whether he had over/under either, so they'll have a difficult time settling up.
Fortunately, I have a sense of humor. Besides, Brother is more than 11 years younger than I am, and he had to go on cholesterol medication before I did. When he calls back, I will remind him of that....

No comments: