Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Divine Intervention


I woke up this morning coughing and suffering from a post-nasal run (it was much more than a drip). My voice is down in the bass range (but at least I have a voice). I was still struggling with what to do about shut-in communion, so I called the elder who was scheduled to go with me. She thought I sounded horrible, and she had forgotten she had volunteered and made plans to go buy groceries for her mother, who isn't coping well. We decided it was divine intervention, and I'd cancel communion for today.


Yesterday I noticed that Daughter's light pink winter jacket was gray approaching black, and told her to give it to me when we got home so I could wash it. She did, and I used about half a bottle of Shout pretreating it and through it into the washing machine. I then went upstairs and settled myself in the den. Daughter was on the computer researching nutrition information on lunch options for her day out today. Suddenly she said, "What's burning?" I couldn't smell anything. I suggested she follow the smell.


She headed downstairs and was back very quickly with the report that something was burning on the back porch, though she couldn't see any flames. I pryed myself out of the recliner and headed down. Once I was in the hall, I could smell something, too. It smelled like the vacuum cleaner after Daughter runs over something she shouldn't, like fringe on a rug or the pulls on the blinds. I opened the washer with sinking feeling. There was Daughter's jacket and the various other clothes I'd put in sitting in a tub full of gray water. I moved it to spin, and heard and awful noise and the odor got worse.


I called the appliance repairman. He may get here in an hour or so. I hope he has whatever parts he needs. I think it is all a conspiracy on the part of my major appliances. The refrigerator is in on it, too. The freezer isn't keeping things frozen while the refrigerator is freezing things. I'm beginning to suspect that the reason Daughter's blood sugars are suddenly in the 200's most of the time is because her Lantus got too cold. So my crud and a forgetful elder will keep me from going out and visiting shut-ins, and the dryer will keep me home waiting for the repairman.


I could get frustrated and stressed, or view it all as a gift-- assuring that I stay here and focus on worship plans and the other details that need attending. Maybe I'll even get time for a nap this afternoon. For now, though, I'll work here at my desk, where Cat is either guarding me or letting me know he's mad at me, as you can see from the picture above.


5 comments:

MBA Community Ministries said...

In calmness and quiet...we see the Lord.

I love the Today's English version of Be still..

"Stop fighting and know I am God"
Psalm 42:10

Happy day!

MBA Community Ministries said...

oops!
Psalm 46:10

Reverend Mom said...

Thanks! I love that verse, but had never paid attention to it in TEV-- it is such an appropriate way of putting it for me.

Munchkin Mom said...

My refrigerator has been talking to your washing machine and refrigerator. It is making a whole new variey of noises....sigh.

Right now it sounds like an old Farmall tractor...

Earlier today, it sounded like a jet taking off....

of course, it sure beats silence...

Reverend Mom said...

Sorry about your refrigerator-- I think home appliances have a stress sensor in them-- it tells them when you are most stressed and least able to handle a breakdown, and that's when they do it!