Friday, January 20, 2012

Laughing

My mother was a perfectionist. She was a wonderful woman, and she was very hard on herself and her kids. She also was a bit of a space cadet, and often forgot and/or lost things. When she forgot or lost something, she'd get mad. I'd tell her not to worry, it wasn't a big deal, but to her it was. It was a very big deal, and she'd be frustrated with what she perceived as her complete incompetence.
.
I have inherited some her traits, like the talent for forgetting and losing things. I have chosen, though, to laugh at myself rather than getting mad. It's much more fun to laugh. I had an appointment this morning, and then went to the church, where I spent the rest of the day. I was behind, and decided that if I went into the church and got the work done, I'd better be able to relax and enjoy the time I did have off this evening and tomorrow.
.
I had a moment of panic as I was getting ready to leave. I couldn't find my church keys. I asked Administrative Assistant for help. She laughed-- the keys were around my neck, where they'd been all day. I laughed, too. We talked about what else I could forget, but I think I actually made it home with everything I need.
.
It has turned very cold here, so I came directly home and started a fire in my fireplace. I love my house.

No comments: