Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy Calls and January

Daughter called this morning before she went to her program and this evening right after she got home. She was happy in both calls. I like those calls.
.
As I anticipated, it's been a busy week in the office. January is always a busy month. There is the combination of wrapping up last year's business and the challenges of setting up this year's. I have a meeting with a committee leader from last year to assist in writing the committee's annual report. This particular leader took on a challenging job and I promised to help with the things that were difficult. I have a meeting with a new committee leader to provide training on the committee's responsibilities.
.
Poor Administrative Assistant has to deal with all the programmatic issues I'm concerned about and help the treasurer with all the financial aspects of closing out one year and beginning a new one. We increased her work week by one hour for this year, and I think she'll need that hour and could probably use more, as well. We'll start with the hour, though.
.
This Sunday I will begin teaching a new class. Lent will be upon us soon, which means I need to come up with a theme. Sister Best Friend is coming tomorrow afternoon and we will work on that together.
.
The church has been invaded by a bunch of men this week-- they're painting and replacing ceiling tiles in our fellowship hall downstairs. I was down to check on their progress a couple of times, and observed that there seemed to be more supervisors than laborers. They didn't dispute that. They were having a very good time. One of the men was avoiding painting by taking care of electrical tasks. Our alarm system is very old, and will need to be replaced in the next year or so. The keypad by the office entrance has become finicky, so today he swapped it out with one that is not used as frequently. He also moved a thermostat. I reminded him of a couple of other electrical issues that he could address (he is a retired electrician). I suspect he will take care of them all so that he can be there working and enjoying the fellowship without picking up a paint brush....

No comments: