Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Daughter's Rant

Daughter called this evening and was ranting about how terrible her house is and how she belongs at home with me and if I loved her I'd come move her home right now. I put my phone on speaker phone and listened to her rant while I continued to work on material for adult education this Sunday. I said appropriate things: sympathizing with her hard week, expressing confidence in her ability to cope, telling her I loved her and would see her tomorrow at her doctor's appointment. Eventually she hung up on me. I continued with my work, somewhat surprised by how little her call distressed me. As I reflected on it, I realized that she is very frustrated by the lack of drama in her life. She was trying to get a reaction out of me, and was frustrated that I wouldn't react.
.
She called later and apologized. The initial excitement of the move is over. This last week has been frustrating for her with confusion over blood work, doctor's appointment, and her spending money. I hope that once things settle back down she will calm down at settle in for the long haul. I hope things will settle down, though I have to say I don't have a great deal of confidence in the house manager right now. It will be interesting to see what her average blood sugar has been. I hope they have the results of the blood work back by the appointment tomorrow.

No comments: