Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Story

Yesterday evening Daughter was finally able to tell me what had gone on during the supper visit that ad caused her to shut down. One of the women (who is wreaking havoc while there for respite-- they're trying to move her) had said things and and made gestures that Daughter said were "inappropriate." She said she was very uncomfortable with it. She said the woman was sent to her room, but didn't stay there. She told me she doesn't know if the staff there can keep her safe. She said she was crying, and one of the staff members told her she was too pretty to cry.
.
I'm trying to figure out how to address this. I want to go forward with the move, and I want to make sure that Daughter will feel safe there. We're going to have to teach her how to respond to the things that bothered her Tuesday evening.
.
I told one of the men here that I needed a favor. A big favor. He got the deer in the headlights look, and I said, "I need help moving Daughter and her furniture." He beamed. "No problem. We've got the trailer outside and there are plenty of people who will help with the move." I knew it wouldn't be a problem, and I'm grateful for the support.
.
We had three men in examining some cracks in the ceiling in the sanctuary yesterday. I went out to check on them, and when I came back I told Administrative Assistant I wasn't sure if they were the 3 musketeers or the 3 stooges. One of the men put a foot through a ceiling tile. The good news is there wasn't a major problem, and they have made repairs.

2 comments:

maeve said...

I think she'll learn to deal with people who make her uncomfortable just as you have with the "muskateers" or the "stooges". She just needs the chance to have the experiences and make it through. Almost every life experience comes out OK in the end -- well, with a few exceptions that she's already experienced, which is the whole problem, right?

Reverend Mom said...

You are wise, as always, Maeve. This may be harder for me than it is on her....