Thursday, October 6, 2011

Another Celebration

Almost every day I receive a similar phone call from Daughter.
.
"I need to get out of here now! I'm being harassed. If you don't come get me I'll call the cops."
.
"I'm sorry you're having a bad day. I have confidence in your ability to keep yourself safe. I'll see you tonight. I love you."
.
Sometimes there are multiple phone calls over the course of the day. Occasionally she tries a new angle. I don't pick her up.
.
Today I had a seminar I was attending. I wondered what Daughter would attempt to pull me out of it. She knew I was going, and had expressed alarm that I wouldn't be home when she got home. I assured her I'd leave after she left, and return before she got home.
.
My cell phone was silent all day. No calls, no text messages. When she walked into the house this evening, she through her arms around my neck and began jumping up and down with joy. She was so proud of herself. She had a good day (she was separated from most of the group). I asked her if she had the standard conversation with me in her head. She acknowledged she did. She also proudly showed me her cell phone-- which she had intentionally left at home today.
.
Whatever it takes. I'll celebrate a successful day with her.

No comments: