Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Better Day

Daughter started out the morning a bit grouchy. She informed me she had to act this way, she had PMS. She was sitting in my study, scowling. She couldn't find her ipod this morning, and that had frustrated her. I pulled out the plaque Sister Best Friend gave me Thursday and showed it to her. It says, "Spare Me the Drama." Daughter looked at it and tried to stay mad, but she couldn't, she began to smile. I told her I was considering beating her with it, or wearing it around my neck. She began to talk about what I'd have to do to wear it.
.
When we got home, I wanted to continue with a project I'd started yesterday: cleaning and organizing the garage. I still don't have it set up the way I'd like. Yesterday her frustration tolerance was very low, and she kept storming off. Today I wanted to finish hanging an organizer I'd purchased yesterday. I had her handing me tools: drill bit, screwdriver bit, hammer, level, screws. She told me it was man's work and I shouldn't be doing it. I don't know where she got these ideas. I've been single all my life, and I've always worked with tools and taken on small projects.
.
She was very cooperative, though, and we got more done. It's not complete, but we're making progress. It's a beautiful fall day, so it was great to have an outside project to work on. This is going to be a crazy week, so I'm grateful for all I can get done around the house today. Daughter wants me to wash and style her hair. I have refused to relax it until she shows me she will wrap it nightly, but I am willing to give her a shampoo, conditioner, and maybe trim it some. We'll see. For now, though, the laundry is going and I'm relaxing with my back massager.

No comments: