Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Wonderful Day

Far Away Sister and her family and Sister were in worship this morning. It was good to have them there. The congregation welcomed them warmly and told them how happy they are to have me there. They were impressed with the life in the church. It was a great morning. They came back here for lunch. We had a good visit. Then it was back to the church for the installation. A number of friends from the conference I go to every summer came to the installation. It was wonderful to see them.
.
There were also people from my home church. They were friends of my parents. Daughter had mixed feelings about them being here. Overall, I'd say she was overwhelmed by the whole day. She was crying as we were getting ready to come home. When I asked her what was wrong, she said, "Grandma and Grandpa should have been here today. They should have been here for you." The folks from my home church were all friends of my parents, and their presence underlined my parents' absence for Daughter. I do understand the feeling. I have thought about them a lot the last few days. I do miss them. It would have been nice to have them there. M is a 94 year old woman who moved to Capital several years ago. She was there tonight with a walker. Mom used to go visit her when she was at a seniors' residence near the home church. Now she has outlived both of my parents. Years ago I was working at my home church one summer. M's mother-in-law died, and I did the funeral, one of the first ones I did. I was delighted that she was at the installation today. She informed me I have to go visit her.
.
This is going to be a short week, but a busy one. There is a board meeting tomorrow night. I'm going to begin doing some education with them. Today I was offered 2 tickets to the men's basketball game at the local university. It's a very good team, so that will be exciting.
.
Apparently Daughter is concerned about all the work I'm doing. She told some people that I need a break. I am tired, but it's a good tired.

No comments: