Thursday, November 4, 2010

Not Quite the Impact I'd Hoped For

This morning Daughter once again refused to get out of bed. "I'm leaving in 30 minutes."
.
"Okay."
.
She didn't move. "Ten minutes."
.
No response. "Good bye."
.
"Good bye."
.
To say I was slightly frustrated would be accurate. I had to leave, but worried about what she'd do home alone. I wondered what I'd do when she woke up and called me. I double checked all the locks on the food, medication, and knives, gathered my things, and headed out the door. I opened the garage door. I put my brief case in the back seat. I opened the driver's door, and realized I had a problem. My car keys and house keys were locked in the house. I had the cabinet keys and church keys hanging around my neck, but the car keys and house keys were still in the drawer by the stove.
.
I checked the doors. They were securely locked. I pondered my options. No one else has a house key. I reluctantly walked to the front door and leaned on the doorbell. Daughter graciously let me in. I grabbed the house keys, and ordered her into the car. (She had gotten up and showered and dressed at 3:00. When the temperature in the house goes down to 60 at night, it's not comfortable sleeping in a wet bed.)
.
Somehow the impact of leaving her home alone was lost when I locked myself out of the house. Sigh.

No comments: