Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sunday Snippets

I love my life. Have I mentioned that lately?
.
This morning the children's sermon returned to worship. I had 3 little girls come talk to me, and a mom brought her 17 month old son up. It was new, and different, but the girls talked to me, and we will figure out the details as we go along. The theme was love, so we commissioned the 15 people who serve as mentors at a local school, plus their prayer partners.
.
Two weeks ago I began the stewardship season by talking about how we all have more than enough. A man who has struggled financially after a job injury told me the sermon was offensive. I apologized, and followed up with a short note acknowledging how hard it is when you are an exception to the generalization. I told him I hoped that the majority of the time he would hear good news at church. Last Sunday he wasn't there, and I was a little concerned. Today, he greeted me with a huge hug and thanked me for the note.
.
People who have not been coming to worship for a while are beginning to trickle back in. One man was there today and informed me he was back, and next time he'd bring his wife.
.
Tuesday morning I'm going to drop Daughter off with one of the saints and then pick her up after the ecumenical clergy breakfast. She hasn't been with this woman before, but the woman had 3 small dogs, so Daughter will be very happy.
.
Several people told me how Daughter had been quite excited as she told them that she is starting her program tomorrow. She told me later she thought she'd explode if she didn't tell people.
.
A retired pastor was in worship today. He was very complimentary. He offered to fill in if needed. I think he's offended that he's never been asked. I assured him he'd be asked. He's been attending churches from sister denominations. I encouraged him to come home to his roots. He thought that was a possibility. He apparently remembered me from my time in the inner city. I felt bad, as I don't remember him, but he knows I have dealt with conflicted churches before, and thinks I'll do well here.
.
The wives of the two men I had conversations with on 'Thursday both told me they'd heard we'd had good conversations. That's good news.
.
We collected food today-- a lot of food. I was impressed by the amount they brought in. The woman who is responsible for stewardship has been getting up and saying something about stewardship every Sunday. Today she got up and said I'd already said it all, and just reminded everyone to bring their pledges next Sunday.
.
It is taking me an hour to get out after worship on Sundays-- lots of visiting and talking going on. Next week Far Away Sister and her family will be in worship, and will be coming over for lunch after. I'm going to make and effort to get out faster. We'll have lunch and then they'll be off to visit friends. Later that afternoon I will officially be installed as pastor, with a dinner following.
.
This week is going to be very busy-- lots of appointments and commitments, and lots of things that I need to get done during my time in the office. I'm looking forward to getting at it tomorrow morning. Hopefully Daughter will do well with the transition as she starts in her program tomorrow. She'll be there Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. It will be a busy week, and a good one. I feel like we're settling in, and that's a wonderful feeling.

No comments: