Friday, November 12, 2010

Day Off

I began my day off by going to the church, where I had left my cell phone and the power cord for my computer yesterday. I really need to look into getting a second power cord for it. We went to the program site to fill out the paperwork to enroll Daughter. Eventually this program will be in its own building, but right now they are located in a building with a variety of programs. They are sharing space with a low functioning group that includes a number of individuals with autism. They are in the space the other program had used for cooling down and changing. Now they aren't in the space for long periods of time, but their presence is very disruptive for the other group, so, the other group is acting out. There is a bit of a power struggle going on, as the director of Daughter's program has a very different philosophy than the other programs in the building. It looks like Daughter will be the highest functioning person in the group. The first person rolled in in a wheelchair wearing a helmet. One woman has a protuberant tongue. Another woman is deaf and almost blind. There are communication challenges. There are also people who were eager to meet Daughter and were very verbal. It was noisy. Very noisy. I could see Daughter getting overwhelmed. I reminded her that the individual who became her favorite person at the gift shop had scared her at first. I reminded her that most of the day they would be away from the program out doing other things. As we were leaving, the director mentioned she was looking for another space they could use until they move into their own building. I suggested the church, and called the Administrative Assistant to see what would be involved and where they could meet. She immediately thought of a wonderful room they could use, and sent an email to the board to get their perspective on it. I arranged to meet the director at the church at 11:00.
.
When we got to the car, Daughter began sobbing. She didn't want to go there. She wasn't like those people. She didn't want to use sign language any more. It was too loud. I held her hand as she sobbed, but my heart was sinking. I was inclined to agree with her. Then she stopped crying. "I need to practice my sign language so I can communicate with the deaf woman. I'll be able to talk to her and help the others talk to her." I sat there amazed, and very proud. We went shopping, and then to the church to meet the Director. She loved the space, and hopes to get the move arranged ASAP. As we talked in the parking lot, she talked more about the challenges at their current location. Last Friday the police were called twice on one of the individuals from the program whose space they have invaded. That concerned me, and I said I might wait to start Daughter until they get the program moved to the church.
.
I talked to Daughter about that possibility, but she was adamant about her desire to start on Monday. After lunch, we went to get the car serviced. It was going to take a while, and since it is a beautiful day, I decided we'd walk home (just under a mile). The library was on the way, so I suggested we stop there and get our library cards. Daughter was opposed. As I headed to the library, she kept going towards home. I informed her that she couldn't be home alone, as I left the refrigerator unlocked. To my surprise, she immediately turned around and entered the library with me. She had her bad attitude until I pointed out the racks of CD's. Within minutes she was by my side, "Let's go get our library cards." She checked out an exercise DVD (which she is doing now) and 3 CD's. I got a couple of books and wii game. We then walked the rest of the way home, and then back to get the car later in the afternoon.
.
I have some concerns about the other individuals in the program, but I love the director and her philosophy. I'm delighted that the program may be in the church for a while. The director was a case manager, and also has a private counseling practice. When we were there Wednesday, Daughter showed her how she fakes seizures. Daughter likes her, and so do I. I think this will be a good program for daughter.
.
While our visit to the program today was a little overwhelming, I was very impressed by the way Daughter went from sobbing to planning to insisting on starting Monday. I'm sure there will be challenges as she adjusts, but I think that eventually life is going to be much easier. God is good.

No comments: