Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Symptom of the Day

Right now it seems like Daughter is coming up with a new physical symptom every day. I keep redirecting her to the emotional hurt behind her physical symptoms, but she isn't thrilled about being redirected. Yesterday she had rash that was itching and hurting and terribly painful, especially when she went to the bathroom. Yes, I can see how a rash on your chest would be irritated by going to the bathroom..... She called me from the workshop to tell me about that one, and when I didn't immediately rush out to rescue her from the workshop, the rash was forgotten and she claims she had a productive day.
.
In the evening she pulled out the hearing voices complaint. I told her to kick those voices out of her head and tell them she was in charge. She stopped complaining.
.
Today she's complaining about rectal bleeding. According to her she's in danger of bleeding to death. Daughter has a history of severe constipation, and any time your stool is big enough to clog the toilet, it's going to cause some damage on the way out. So she has had intermittent tears and bleeding. I have her back on miralax every night, much to her dismay.
.
The downside of all of this is that someday she may come to me with a real complaint, and I won't believe her. I have explained this to her multiple times, of course, but Daughter remembers that almost as well as she remembers to rinse the oatmeal out of her bowl before she puts it in the dishwasher.

2 comments:

Miz Kizzle said...

If it makes you feel any better, my husband is a Yale graduate and a partner in a large law firm and HE can't remember to rinse the oatmeal out of his cereal bow.

Reverend Mom said...

I don't know if it makes me feel better or worse....