Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Maybe It's Not

Daughter called me from the workshop, hysterical. She was crying so hard I couldn't understand her at first. She kept saying she'd made the biggest mistake of her entire life. She finally was able to tell me that Flasher is coming back to the workshop, and now she thinks she was wrong to break up with Nice Guy. I reminded her that Flasher was only one of many reasons for the break-up. She kept talking about a particular supervisor she'd spoken to about the situation. I knew that in the past this supervisor had been encouraging the relationship with NG. To say I was furious would be an understatement. I told her to have the supervisor call me. It took a while, but I did. It's probably good that it took a while, because it gave me an opportunity to calm down. Anyway, I patiently explained to her that there had been lots of issues with NG, and that this break-up was a good thing, and asked her please not to encourage Daughter to give him another chance. She assured me she would never do that. Do I believe her? No.
.
My prediction is that we're in for another week or so of turmoil, during which the romance will be on and off several times. Eventually, though, I am confident that Daughter will recognize that it's best to just be friends....
.
The supervisors at the workshop mean well, but they don't understand that Daughter's major disability is her mental illness, and specifically her PTSD. It's one of those days when I think that the sooner we're out of here, the better.

No comments: