Sunday, October 4, 2009

We're Home

We all gathered for lunch today, and then Far Away Sister and her family flew home and Daughter and I drove home. We managed to fit everything into the car. Daughter was in her, "it's all to hard and I can't do anything mood today." Brother-in-law rescued me when Daughter couldn't figure out how to lift the flat screen TV into the car. When we got home I called some friends, because it was clear that Daughter wasn't going to cooperate with me to get it in the house. It is now set up and working. It fits perfectly on my TV stand I bought several weeks ago.
.
I've slept better the last few nights that I had in weeks. I'm no longer waiting for a phone call. It was strange, though, to come home and realize that for a first time there wasn't a parent waiting for me to call and report that we'd made it safely home. Dad always wanted a report on traffic, road and weather conditions. When everything was unloaded and the TV was set up, I called Sister to tell her we were home. We're all on speaking terms, which is nice.
.
Far Away Sister thinks she might have to come back at Thanksgiving to finish inventory and such. We got Dad's suite cleared out Friday, but there are boxes of things at both Sister's and Brother's.
.
I think I'll sleep well tonight. Tomorrow is my day off. Daughter has an appointment in Big City with Psychiatrist in the afternoon. I've already heard from a woman whose mother is dying. Her parents don't have a church, and want me to do the funeral. I'm going to go with her to meet her father on Tuesday afternoon. I'll have to rearrange my schedule a bit, but I'll make it work. It will be good to get back into ministry without the distractions of the phone calls and the worries about what's happening. It will nice to be able to make appointments without the disclaimer that I may have to cancel if a parent dies.
.
It's good to be back, and it's good to have that stress behind me.

No comments: