Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Distractions

There are a number of welcome distractions in my life right now. The plumbers were here yesterday to replace all the pipes in the ceiling to the bathroom-- including most of the drain pipes. Today I have a trustee here to begin the clean up work, and he is taking note of all the other problems in the house as well, such as the broken light switch and doorbell. He also is going to fix the back door, which doesn't always close well. I heard what sounded suspiciously like a drip when Daughter flushed the toilet last night. He has now heard it as well, and will check it out and dry things out before closing up the ceiling. I'm grateful. Sometimes there are advantages to living in a house owned by the church.
.
The other major distraction was more troubling, but ultimately much more rewarding. I heard a banging on my door this morning (which is how I discovered that the doorbell was broken.) My next door neighbor was standing there having a panic attack. I ushered her into my living room and found out that a detective had just brought by a photo line-up forwarded to the local sheriff's office by the police in the community where she was raped earlier this year. We talked for a little while, and then I offered to take her to breakfast. Both of us had already eaten, and both of us went and ate large breakfasts at a restaurant in town. Once she calmed down and I reassured her that her reactions were normal and to be expected and she was doing well under difficult circumstances, we had a wonderful conversation. I heard about the most recent books she'd read (she's currently seeking to read one book from every country in the world-- she's read over 100), and other things she is researching. Time with her always stimulates me intellectually. Our visit was also a welcome reminder that I have something to offer to the community, that my ministry is needed and appreciated. By the time we parted, we were both feeling much better. She has no idea of the ways in which she ministers to me. I'm grateful.

No comments: