Thursday, October 1, 2009

Meow

Okay, I confess, I can be a bit catty at times. Sister-in-law, who is a bit of a drama queen, seems to bring out the worst in me. Several days ago I asked Far Away Sister if she wanted to predict when SIL would have a crisis and what type of crisis it would be. I thought she'd wait until after the memorial service, but Far Away Sister insisted it would have to be before the service for maximum impact.
.
This evening we were all supposed to meet at Brother's to go through pictures and set up a display for Dad. Sister was having car trouble, so I was transporting her. I had promised to pick up Far Away Sister and Tall Niece at the airport. Brother-in-law and Nephew were coming in on a later flight and would get the rental car.
.
Brother called Sister. SIL's grandma had disconnected her oxygen and was now having difficulties. SIL had gone over to take her to the hospital, but couldn't get her in her car, so Brother was going to have to go transport her. He didn't know how long he'd be tied up because SIL had to go to work and he didn't know when his mother-in-law would be able to get to the hospital. I now had 6 people needing transport and a car that holds 5. I decided to take Sister and Little Niece to their home so I would have room to pick up Far Away Sister and Tall Niece. It would mean Far Away Sister and Tall Niece would have a bit of a wait at the airport, but it was the best solution we came up with given the limited time.
.
When Far Away Sister landed, I filled her in on SIL's grandma. She thought it was hilarious, as did I. She reminded me that she had predicted that the crisis would come before the service. She was right.
.
Cousin is flying in tomorrow afternoon for the service. She was going to stay at Brother's house, but after the Sisters spent some time there today, we decided that wouldn't work. We didn't think it was fair to inflict both SIL and the stink in his house on Cousin. We couldn't identify the source of the odor, but it was bad.
.
The Sisters decided she will stay with Daughter and me in our suite. She can have the sofa bed, and Daughter will sleep with me. Everyone will be happy.
.
Daughter got back and had a meltdown tonight. She insisted we had to leave now. I told her we could run away to the other side of the world, but Grandpa would still be dead. I reminded her that this is hard on everyone. She gets very jealous of the attention I give Nieces, Nephew, and Sisters when we're together. Sleeping with me should help a bit with that. By the time she went to bed, she was smiling.
.
We still have more work to do at the apartment. Far Away Sister and her family are in the suite next door, and she came over tonight and we sorted through all the paper work I had gotten out of Dad's apartment today. We'll find a box and ship it to her home tomorrow, since she is in charge of the trust and legal matters.
.
I heard some stories of Dad in the hospital today, but I'm too tired to write anymore tonight. I'll share them tomorrow. For now, we are surviving and everyone is still on speaking terms. I'm grateful.

No comments: