Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Back to the Psych Unit

I admitted Daughter to the psych unit in Big City this evening. She had an appointment with Therapist this afternoon, and I told her I was concerned she needed to be hospitalized. Less than 5 questions into her assessment it was clear she needed to be hospitalized. The voices are growing stronger, and when she asked Daughter about her ability to resist them, Daughter began to cry and said she was afraid she couldn't continue to resist. During last night's rage, the voices were telling her to strangle me.
.
Therapist called Psychiatrist and talked to her nurse. Nurse talked to Psychiatrist. Psychiatrist ordered a direct admission. I hate leaving her there. The nurse on the unit explained to me why they couldn't control her diet or follow her insulin program. I explained to nurse that if Daughter's blood sugar was running sky high they wouldn't be able to determine if high blood sugars, too much medication, or severe depression were causing her lethargy. I suggested that would not be helpful. They decided maybe they could find a dietitian after all.
.
Her appointment with Therapist was at 3:00. I got home at 8:40. I'm a little bit tired tonight. That's an understatement.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

so sorry. prayers on the way. Wish I could be there to help with the burdon, long distance will have to do. Owl

Reverend Mom said...

Thanks, Owl.

Linda said...

Oh my goodness. God must think you can handle an awful lot of stressful situations in a short time. It's good that daughter got in right away. I can't believe a medical facility would say that can't monitor diabetis. How rediculous. I do hope you can get some decent sleep. Prayers are being said for you and daughter.

TobyBo said...

praying here. I am glad she got in where she needs to be and hope they have the sense to take care of her.

Reverend Mom said...

Linda B,
Once, years ago, when I was struggling with overwhelming stress, my mentor said something about God preparing me for something great. My comment was that if this was the preparation, I didn't want it! I did sleep well, and I have avoided calling the hospital today. If I don't know what's going on, I don't have to deal with it. Thanks for the prayers.


TobyBo,
Thank you for the prayers. I am relieved. I think I knew that this was coming, and now the healing can begin and we can move forward.