Thursday, October 8, 2009

Gray Day


Today is a gray, rainy day, which matches my mood. I was going to go to City for a hospital visit, but have decided that higher priority needs to be getting ready for worship Sunday morning. I want to be well prepared for my first Sunday back, and I know that it gets harder to do the later it gets in the week.

Niece, who is almost 5, is having a very hard time. She has lost 2 grandparents and 2 pets since June. She won't use toilet paper now, because it has a pretty pattern on it and she can't stand to flush it down the toilet. She won't use paper napkins for the same reason-- they are too pretty to throw away. She won't open and eat her yogurt and apple sauce at school, because she'd have to throw the tops in the trash. She's also having some panic attacks.

Sister has contacted hospice about grief support groups for children. In comparison, Daughter and I are doing well, but that doesn't mean it's easy. Cat has been very affectionate. I think he senses my grief, and is seeking to comfort me. I have a full spectrum light, and I'm going to sit under it this afternoon as I work on worship plans....

3 comments:

Miz Kizzle said...

Can they get plain white toilet paper? It's better for the environment.
Her problem is bout grief and loss and not about wanting to preserve the "pretty" toilet paper. But you knew that already.

Reverend Mom said...

They had white toilet paper, but it was embossed with a design. Sister gave her a boot box and told her she could keep things she wanted to save in there. She put some toilet paper and a napkin in there, and now they're using them again. Sister is supposedly seeking help for Niece with her grief, but because the crisis is past, isn't doing it very aggressively.

She has also been reading Niece books about grief, which is helping. Niece told Sister she felt like she was losing the love she had in her heart for Grandma and Grandpa because she couldn't see them anymore. She sobbed and sobbed. Hopefully as she expresses her grief, it will be easier to let go of other things....

Reverend Mom said...

Oh, and thanks for your suggestion and concern.