Monday, August 26, 2013

Frustrated Mama Bear

Daughter called around lunch time today.  Her blood sugar had been low before lunch, and after lunch it had dropped even lower.  She was down to her last 3 strips.  This morning her blood sugar was sky high.  She wasn't given a snack last night, so I suspect her blood sugar bottomed out over night and rebounded.  Because the high was from a rebound, she didn't need as much insulin as she was given.  I've explained multiple times that she has to have a bedtime snack.  It is in her plan.  She could die from undetected lows over night.  So I was frustrated--but then it gets worst. 

I had to give her extra test strips because she ran out.  She claimed she couldn't get any more until August 27.  Yesterday I saw the receipt for her strips in her med box, and it said she could get more strips on August 7.  I send off an email to the Home Owner and Case Manager seeking clarification.  CM forwards email to Nurse.  Nurse calls pharmacy.  Bottom line:  They claim that her Medicaid has been cancelled, and she has no insurance.  They say they haven't been paid for the last 2 months of strips, resulting in an outstanding bill of $400.  I was in a meeting in another city all afternoon, so tomorrow I'm going to have to get on the phone.  I was answering emails about this in the meeting, but they are a group of pastors, and understood my distraction....  I told the board tonight they should pray for the people who will be answering my calls tomorrow.  I decided I probably shouldn't use the church phone to place the calls, as I don't want the church name showing up on caller ID....

I hope I can quickly get this mess straightened out.  The thought of Daughter not having any medical insurance is scary.  I hope this is miscommunication.  I hope there is not notification of a problem floating around out there that I have never seen....

No comments: