Friday, August 23, 2013

Experiments in Cooking

I haven't been doing much cooking-- I've fried a few potatoes, cooked some corn, and cooked some dry pinto beans, but most of what I'm eating is raw....  I have also been focusing on single ingredient things.  Today I decided to get creative and try vegetable barley soup.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find a recipe for vegetable broth that contained only things I could eat, so I had to wing it.  I just added a variety of vegetables.  I broke the rules, as there are several vegetables in it that I haven't tried on their own yet to make sure I don't react to them.  They were from early stages, though, so I think I'll be okay.  The reality is I don't like most of them on their own.  I'm hoping they'll be more palatable when mixed in this soup.  We'll see.  I haven't been tried it yet, but I don't think all the vegetables are cooked-- I added snap peas, green beans, mushrooms, cauliflower, carrots, and corn.  All of them were fresh, purchased today. 

I'm hoping I'll decide the soup is worthy of serving to Sister Best Friend tomorrow.  I made enough that I can freeze some for the future.  We'll see....

No comments: