Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Sabbath

I read a devotional about sabbath this morning.  Sabbath is time to stop all work and rest in God.  As I reflected on it, I realized.  I don't do a good job of taking sabbath time throughout the year.  Especially during the school year, I work too much and relax too little.  Summer is my opportunity for to slow down a bit and relax.  It helps that the days are longer, and the other big difference is that I'm home in the evening.  Instead of spending at least 3 evenings a week at the church, I'm only there for the Monday evening meetings.  I like having my evenings.  Yesterday I came home and mowed the lawn before supper and after supper I went for a 4 mile walk. 

The slower pace also means I'm more likely to get a full day off.  Saturday I was free to enjoy time with a friend and then later, with Sister.  After the memorial service on Monday, I have 4 weeks of sabbath time.  I'm looking forward to the time to be refreshed and renewed.  I also know, though, that I can't expect 4 weeks of sabbath in the summer to carry me through the rest of the year.  Before I move into fall, I need to figure out how to schedule sabbath time during the busiest times of the year.  There's a reason that God made that one of the ten commandments.  I think I need to rediscover what a gift it is, all year round. 

No comments: