Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Phone Calls and a Stop in the Office

I don't like making phone calls.  I know it sounds weird, but I have never liked making them.  Obviously there are times when I can't avoid making phone calls, but if there are alternatives (like email) I'll take them every time.  So the last week my major accomplishment has been making a bunch of phone calls I'd been putting off.  The majority of them were made today.  Here's some of what I've accomplished:

  • Reduced my trash service to save money.
  • Changed my newspaper subscription to online only.
  • Called the cardiologist's office about their failure to get prior authorization for my stress test (is getting an insurance denial for an expensive test part of the stress test?)  They are looking into it.  (Note to SBF-- I know you warned me.  I told the doctor that it had to be pre-authorized.  He promised to take care of it.  You can say I told you so-- I didn't call the insurance company to make sure he'd done it.)
  • Called and found a place to replace the glass in my fireplace door (to be paid for by the chimney sweep, since it broke right after they cleaned it). 
  • Called tech support about Daughter's dead computer.  Also called about the broken mouse button on mine.  Called a shop 50 miles away that can do the repair on mine under the extended warranty.  I consider it a major accomplishment that I arranged repairs on both with less than 45 minutes on the phone.  My hope is that I can drop my computer off at the repair shop, do some shopping, and go back to pick it up with only one trip to the city.  The repair shop was willing to work with me on that. 
It feels good to have gotten these things off my to do list.  Some had been there for several months. 

I managed to stay away from the church for one full day before I went in.  I stopped by this afternoon to drop off Daughter's computer.  Administrative Assistant will stick it in the box they're sending and send it off for repairs-- I have everything delivered to the church because that is where I spend the majority of my waking hours.  I also dropped papers into the recycling bin in the parking lot and dropped off some things that belong in my study.  She filled me in on all the news: 

  • We're up to 24 registrations for day camp.
  • They cleaned out a Sunday School room that was being used for storage and organized a storage room.  We need the additional space for Sunday School this fall. 
  • She found a great picture of me for the brochure I thought was done last week.  She's continuing to play with the lay out and improving it.  Our goal is to have it ready to distribute at day camp.
  • Work is progressing on the apartment building that is going in next to the church.  They started clearing the land last week, and did it in record time.  This week they're moving dirt.
While I was there I got to hug the mother of a young man who has been battling cancer for over 2 years.  The latest news was not good.  She was surprised (and delighted) to see me.

I also talked to a couple of the men from the property team.  Our pond has been reduced to a mud puddle by the dry weather.  They were considering renting equipment to do the digging they need to do to fix the drain in the pond.  They were discussing who was better equipped to drive it.  I can see them all having fun with a new toy.  Hopefully they'll be done by the time I get back.  I also hope the new HVAC unit for the sanctuary will be installed while I'm away.  Hopefully I will be able to stay away for longer than one day this time....

No comments: