Thursday, June 7, 2012

Letting Go

Daughter had an appointment with her  primary care physician today.  House staff was supposed to pick her up from her program and deliver her to the appointment.  I was going to meet them there.  I arrived 15 minutes before the appointment, as requested.  Daughter called and announced they had just left.  They were on the other side of town.  Then she called and said they had hit a detour due to construction. Then she called and asked which way they were supposed to go.  I had no idea where they were. 

They were late.  I asked the staff member if she knew what refills/orders Daughter needed.  She said, "I don't know.  They just told me to take her to her appointment."  I was very frustrated, to say the least.  However, I decided it wasn't my problem.  I let it go. I considered telling them I'd handle the appointments in the future, but decided against that.  It's not my problem.  Daughter is healthy, that's what matters.

She did well with the news her camp was cancelled.  She was disappointed, and was appropriate.  I told her today I was proud of how well she handled it.  She called at one point last night an told me she needed a hug.  I pointed out that she could ask one of the women for a hug.  She has been comforting one in particular.  I suggested she tell R it was her turn to comfort Daughter.  She wasn't convinced.  I reminded her she had Grandma's quilt, and if she wrapped herself in it, it was like Grandma and I were hugging her.  That seemed to work.  At least she didn't call again after that.... 

3 comments:

abrianna said...

Camp was cancelled?

Reverend Mom said...

Oops, I thought I'd blogged about it. I got a phone call yesterday afternoon that the camp was cancelled because not enough people had registered for it.

Anonymous said...

So sorry about camp -- but Wow, handling disappointment without drama or despair shows Maturity! (Although I think my daughter handles things taken OFF the schedule much better than additions or surprises, no matter how positive. She just reported flatly that her 2-week ballet intensive will be cut to 1 week.) Hmm ... any alternative summer activities or events? R in SL