Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Neighborhood RADs

This evening I was sitting in the family room in the back of the house, and the doorbell rang.  By the time I got to it, no one was there, though I saw some girls running down the street.  My phone was ringing, so I shut the door and went to answer the phone.  I didn't get there in time, but it was Daughter, so I called her back.  The doorbell rang again, and this time they leaned on it.  I opened the door and it was the three young girls I'd seen running away.  One of the girls said, "I know you from somewhere.  I don't know where, but I know you," and gave me a hug.  I mentioned the mentoring program the church is involved with for at risk kids.  Her face lit up, "That's it!"  I'm the official story teller for the twice a year parties we have at the church with the kids.  They wanted my teenage daughter.  I explained Daughter wasn't a teen, and is only here once a week. 

I suspect they are the grandchildren of a woman I met shortly after I moved in.  She is raising them because their parents can't.  They are in our mentoring program.  I suspect they are RAD, and there may be some issues from prenatal exposure to drugs.  I'm grateful I'm through that stage.  When we lived in Inner City, the summer school teacher released Daughter early. On my way to pick her up, I saw her walking up to a strange house.  Fortunately I was able to stop her.  I talked to the teacher the next day, and asked her not to release my 7 year old daughter early unless I was there to pick her up.  I feel for the grandmother. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

More power to their Grandma, who sounds like she could use some encouragement or backup. And the mentoring program at church sounds like a natural way to extend practical help to families, and build real connections to share His love. Does your daughter have any patience for young kids? Maybe plan to do something with them when she is home? -- R in SL

Reverend Mom said...

Daughter isn't known for her patience, unfortunately....