Thursday, February 26, 2009

Fog

Today has been a gray, foggy day. Schools were closed because of the fog. The fog is reflective of my mood. Last night as I stood up to give the announcements at the Ash Wednesday service, I said, "Someone told me I need to announce something tonight, and I said I would. I don't remember what it was. Does anyone here know?"
.
Daughter had decided to stay home today even before the workshop closed due to the fog. Midway through her morning sitting in the church office, she announced she would be going to the workshop tomorrow. She helped get the newsletter out today, which was good. It really should have been out last week, but I was preoccupied with other things, and besides, I was supposed to be on vacation.
.
Mom is being discharged from the hospital today. Sister was freaking out a bit about it, concerned that everything be in place and the memory care unit have all the information they need to take care of her. Dad's live-in will take him over to see her this evening. Things are going well with the live-in. Sister says she's never seen the apartment that clean.
.
I'm finding that the stress and grief is impacting me in two ways: I'm tired, and I'm not as patient as I normally am. Daughter, of course, is more demanding, which is not a good mix. I reached into a cupboard to get something out when I was fixing supper, and discovered that once again she had been putting the plastic containers away by opening the door and throwing them in. I suggested that it would be easier to fix it now than when it became an even bigger mess. So she did, quite dramatically. There were lots of sighs and she threw things out and made sure she was in my way. It took all my self control to ignore the display.
.
On a more positive note, Sunday's service is coming together nicely. This is going to be another powerful Lenten season for me. I will be considering all the Lenten themes in the light of my parents' failing health. I'm sure there are times it will be painful, but growth usually is. I look forward to seeing what God has in store for me.

No comments: