Monday, January 5, 2009

Sleep, Interrupted


I was exhausted by yesterday evening. Daughter goes to bed before I do, so she should have been sound asleep by the time I went to bed last night. I got my gear in place-- my cpap mask (for sleep apnea) and my herb filled black bag I put over my eyes to block out the light, and quickly fell asleep.


"Mom, my stomach really hurts bad."


"Take the bucket in and put it by your bed."


"Mom, my legs are hurting."


"I'm sorry."


"Mom, my whole body hurts and I think I'm going to be sick."


"Come sleep in my recliner."


Lots of rattling and noise.


"Uh, oh."


"What?"


"I can't find the bucket. Oh, here it is."


I have no idea what time all of this was going on, because I never moved enough to look at the clock. Somehow, I managed to drift back to sleep between each interruption. I just know that by the time she was silent I had resigned myself to the idea that she was coming down with the flu and my hopes of a peaceful day today were gone. So, when the alarm went off at 6:00 this morning, I turned it off and went back to sleep.


"What time is it?"


"6:45"


"I've got to get moving! I feel much better today, Mom. Sorry I woke you up so many times last night."


Daughter is now out waiting for the bus. She was disgustingly chipper this morning. As soon as the bus comes, I'm going back to bed. It is my day off, after all. I have to get to the drugstore today, but other than that I intend to relax. Maybe with some extra sleep I will feel ready to tackle the world when my work week begins tomorrow morning.

No comments: