Friday, January 9, 2009

Snow

On my calendar, Daughter had an appointment at 8:00 this morning with Therapist. I overslept this morning, and Daughter awoke me so I just had time to dress and briefly check the weather report-- we're under a winter storm warning with around 10 inches of snow expected. When we got to the office, Therapist was with someone else, according to her calendar, the appointment was for next Friday morning. After a brief consultation, we decided I'd bring Daughter back at 11:00.
So, Daughter and I headed to Walmart, where I bought milk and bread so we'd have what we needed and I wouldn't have to go back out in the snow. I then dropped Daughter off at the workshop and went to McDonald's, where I worked on my sermon and drank diet coke while I watched the snow begin to fall. When I picked up Daughter, she slipped and fell in the parking lot. I considered the irony as I looked at her sobbing face down in the snow. I got her into the car, and she complained loudly about her knee. She wanted to see Therapist, but thought maybe she needed to go straight to the hospital. We finally decided to try seeing Therapist, and they helpfully provided ice for her knee. I'm glad we did, as she finally confessed to the extra food she's been eating, and Therapist again helped her come up with better coping mechanisms. We also were able to ease her fears about a conversation she'd overheard between Sister and me.
She began to calm down about her knee. When I saw she wasn't limping, I decided she didn't need an x-ray, quite to her dismay. She has broken her ankle twice, and I reminded her that both times I knew it was broken right away and got her to the hospital. We are now safely home, the groceries are put away, and Daughter has calmed down. The snow has slowed down (at least temporarily), but we're ready to handle whatever comes our way. The roads between Tiny Village and Town drift quickly, so it's best to stay home when we get the kind of snow they're predicting. Even with drifting, I prefer snow to ice.
Now I need to go work some more on the sermon ideas that I developed at McDonald's. There's something to be said for working on my sermon in a place like that, surrounded by people. It keeps me grounded, as I consider what the passage means for their lives. How is it Good News for them? What could have been a very frustrating day, turned out to be a worthwhile one.

1 comment:

Torina said...

Burgers and sermons :) made me smile...