Tuesday, January 13, 2009

More White Pills


Yesterday I took Daughter to Big City to see Psychiatrist. I knew there would be a medication change, as Daughter has been complaining about voices again. She's also had zero frustration tolerance and insomnia. She is now back on trazadone to help her sleep. When she started on the depakote, she wasn't supposed to need the trazadone anymore, and for a while, she didn't. Psychiatrist's first priority is always correcting her sleep problems before she considers any other changes. We go back in a month.


I started her on a low dose of the trazadone last night. Psychiatrist said she would only need a low dose at first, because she is so sleep deprived it wouldn't take much to get her to sleep. Eventually we may have to increase it to the level she was at before. Last night Daughter slept. She didn't wake me up at 5:30 this morning to tell me she'd made me breakfast. Hopefully this will work for a while, at least. The good news is that Daughter told me about the voices early on this time, so she didn't need to be hospitalized. Of course, she's back on another white pill. I asked, though, and Psychiatrist changed the way she prescribed her abilify, which eliminated one white pill.


I never thought Daughter would be on this much medication. Yet even with all the heavy duty mediation she's on, she's chipper and alert. I look at them all and wonder what we could eliminate. I've yet to figure anything out. I'm grateful that there are medications that can keep the voices away and slow her mind down enough that she can sleep at night. I'm grateful that there are things that can give her some control over her temper, so that the slightest frustration doesn't trigger an eruption. I'm grateful that Daughter is standing out on the front porch waiting for her bus singing and dancing. I'm also very grateful for my insurance and her medicaid, which make it possible for me to provide her with the medications that enable her to function.


2 comments:

Torina said...

I hope the med change helps!

Reverend Mom said...

Thanks. She has slept the last two nights, but is struggling to get moving in the morning. She also keeps hearing me calling her when I'm not. I'm trying to be patient and give the change time to work....