Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Life Celebrated

Today we celebrated the life of Old Man. It was a wonderful celebration with a packed church, good music, laughter, tears, and comforting words. We probably had 150 stay for the meal following. We buried his ashes with military honors in a very cold cemetery. Old Man was a WWII vet, and had served in the navy.
Daughter helped the women with the meal and helped babysit. She wasn't too happy when I made her stay over at the church for the clean up. But she did, and I'm sure did well. I am exhausted. I really procrastinated on putting together my meditation. Once I sat down to do it, it fell into place quickly, but I didn't want to face the reality of his death. Some of the hardest funerals are the easiest. They're easy because I knew the person well and know exactly what Scripture to use and words to speak to celebrate life and bring comfort to the family. They're hard, because I am mourning, too. I will miss the individual. Old Man's death feels like another piece of closure on my ministry here in Tiny Village.
It will be interesting to see what God has in store for me next.

2 comments:

Carol Toca said...

Wendy, I have really enjoyed reading your Blog each day. Praying for what God has in store for You, and where you are to go for ministry. Love, Carol

Reverend Mom said...

Carol,
Thanks. The prayers are much appreciated.