Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Winter

It seems like the beginning of January we've been under a continuous weather alert. We've been cautioned to stay home because there are going to be blizzard conditions. We've been warned of ice storms that would result in major power outages. We've been cautioned that schools might be closed because of the bad weather. I've dutifully made sure that I stop at the appropriate stores whenever I'm in town so that we don't run out of life's necessities. Yesterday I made sure I had all the prescriptions we'd need for the foreseeable future.

Currently we have a wind chill warning and a winter weather advisory for 2-5" of snow in effect. Yesterday they were telling us we were going to have a blizzard. Now about a month ago we did have an ice storm , but other than that it's been a rather mild winter, despite all the warnings, alerts, watches, and advisories. We have received maybe 3" total of snow. I'm grateful that we have had a mild winter, and I'm tired of all the dire warnings that have turned out to be false. I understand the feeling of the villagers in the story of the boy who cried wolf.
The uncertainty of whether or not the workshop will be open is hard on Daughter. Each night she goes to bed expecting a delay or cancellation. The first thing she asks each morning is if the bus is on a delay. Today they were running on time, except they were 25 minutes late getting here. Daughter finally came and stood in the vestibule as she waited, which is smart given that the temperature is in the single digits.
As I write this, it's snowing. I had intended to go to City this afternoon for a hospital call. Depending on how much snow we actually get, that may not be wise. I'm ready for spring.

No comments: