Monday, July 30, 2012

Serving

We are hosting a day camp this week, and we have 5 young adults who are here to work with the kids.  My responsibilities are limited.  Today I greeted the children and their parents as they arrived.  I also reheated leftovers from yesterday's fellowship meal to feed the staff.  We'd had a taco bar yesterday to welcome them, and they loved it then and again today.  They are so grateful, and it is such a minor thing.

Daughter wanted to come help, but she doesn't have the patience to work with the kids all day, and I don't have the time to transport her when she wears out.  She was so excited yesterday to see the staff, because some of them were on staff last summer when she went to the special needs camp.  She told me she wanted to hang out with the staff.  I explained they would be busy all day and wouldn't have time to hang out with her. 

I decided to solve the problem by inviting the staff to supper Thursday night.  They are running 2 camps this week, so there are 9 staff members in the area.  I will serve them all supper.  I've decided that this week my job is to serve.  I'm always serving, but this week the service will take different forms, and that's fine.  It should be interesting to see what I figure out for supper, but I'll make it work.   

Daughter is still frustrated that I'm busy with something she's not involved with, but she'll survive.  The day camp seems to be off to a good start, and I'm grateful.  Most of the children attending are from the community, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to minister to families in the community in this way. 

No comments: