Friday, July 27, 2012

Perspective 3

I've written about Daughter's challenges with perspective, but I realized this morning that I have challenges in that area, as well.  As I reflect on my first week back, I realized I could focus on the fact that I didn't get my sermon completed by Thursday afternoon, as I had hoped, or I could focus on the things I did accomplish:
  • A good board meeting
  • A pastoral call that enabled me to minister to and spend time with 4 different members
  • A number of phone calls with people dealing with health issues
  • Personal notes to everyone having a birthday in August
  • Personal notes to all the visitors while I was gone for whom we could find addresses
  • Multiple discussions and emails regarding day camp next week
  • Wednesday prayer service
  • Multiple newsletter articles
  • Planned music for next Sunday
  • Addressed issues regarding shared worship in the park in a couple of weeks
  • Multiple discussions regarding the delays in the installation of the new AC for the sanctuary
  • Consulted on decisions regarding how to pay for several different unexpected expenses
  • Several conversations a day with people who stopped by to chat
  • Work on fall worship plans
  • Several hours struggling with the sermon or this Sunday.  It's not done, but I think I know where it's going and it shouldn't take much time to finalize.  Of course, that's what I thought when I developed a rough outline a couple of months ago.  Unfortunately the headlines and the Holy Spirit sent me in a different direction.
All in all, Administrative Assistant was right.  It was a busy, productive week.  Next week we will be hosting a day camp 9 to 5 each day.  Supposedly I will only be involved Monday morning and Friday.  We'll see how that works out.  Perhaps the best part of this week was the opportunity to reconnect with so many people.  Next week I'll have the opportunity to connect with neighborhood parents as they bring their children to day camp.  I'm looking forward to that, though it means it will be another busy week and I will probably be struggling once again to get the sermon done during the week.  I still remember the wise old pastor who said to the frustrated young pastor, "The interruptions are your ministry."

No comments: