Monday, July 23, 2012

I Should Know Better

I don't know what I was thinking when I listed out my goals for the day, which were all solitary activities like reading commentaries and preparing for a meeting.  Monday is supposed to be my day for such things, since the office is officially closed.  I am grateful for the reading and planning I have been able to do so far today, and I'm also grateful for the number of people who have stopped by to welcome me back and check in with me-- at last count I've had extended conversations with 5 people and heard lots of news.  There were some people who came by and didn't stop because of the steady stream of traffic through my study.

I've identified one ball that got dropped while I was gone and formulated a plan for picking it up.  The installation of the new HVAC unit for the sanctuary is now two weeks behind schedule, and I have announced that if it isn't done for this Sunday, we will be moving downstairs where it is cooler, since I don't do well with heat.  (Fortunately the office is on a separate unit that is functioning well.)   I've had an update on the day camp we will be hosting next week.  So far,  things are falling into place nicely.  Other churches have had problems getting registrations, we have a waiting list.  Now I need to gather my thoughts for this evening's board meeting.  We are going to have to deal with some things that would normally be handled by other groups, but that's what happens when it's summer and all the groups aren't meeting regularly and the pastor is gone for 4 weeks.  I am wondering why I thought it would be a good idea to meet on my first day back, but it will be fine.  .

I have to say, it's great to be back connecting with folks and making plans.  I do love my life.  I may not have mentioned that recently....

No comments: