Friday, July 6, 2012

A Melt Down

Daughter had a melt down yesterday evening after worship.  It was our final night, and she was upset because we would be saying goodbye to everyone this morning.  She was able to tell me why she was so upset.  She wanted to leave immediately, to avoid the hard goodbyes.  Instead, I made her walk with me around the lake. We'd had a storm that had cooled the temperature down to tolerable.

As we began, Daughter protested, insisting she wasn't going to go, complaining I'd get her lost.  When we arrived at the labyrinth on the other side of the lake, she told me not to walk it, and talked about how she didn't want to be there.  I didn't engage her complaints and protests, and proceeded to walk the labyrinth while praying aloud about how hard it is to say goodbye, and asking God to guide us though changes and the hard times.  When we set off again we came across a sign on the prayer trail that quoted one of the psalms.  I began to sing a praise song based on the psalm, and she joined in. 

As we approached the main building, I asked if she was going to go on the water slide, which was going to be open from 9:00 to 10:00.  She insisted she wasn't interested.  Then we meet a couple of teenagers who asked Daughter if she was going to go.  As soon as we got back, she rushed to her room the change into her swimsuit.  When she came back to the main building, I was part of a group sitting in the lobby.  She reported she'd gone down 3 times, and had gotten twisted around the last time, which scared her.  Then she danced off to our room, singing. 

A number of people commented on how much she has grown and matured in the last year.  I have to agree.  It was a good week.  We're home now, and the last load of laundry is in the washing machine.  Tomorrow we head out to a state park to camp, and we have a concert tomorrow night.  Today is hot.  As in, we may break the all time recorded high for this city.  I need to mow the lawn before we head out tomorrow.  I'm not sure how that will work out....

No comments: