Sunday, July 17, 2011

Yup, We're Back to Normal

Today I took Daughter to see a movie. Normally I don't buy snacks at the movie, but today I bought a medium tub of popcorn, which pleased Daughter. We then went to the grocery store, and she asked me to buy her some apple straws to try. I did. When we got home, she wanted to eat some. I measured out an ounce and gave her insulin.
.
We went to get Kitten. When we got home, she wanted more apple straws. I suggested she have a plum instead. So she did. I went out and lit the grill to prepare hamburgers for supper. She asked for another plum. I told her she could have another. I went outside to cook the hamburgers. When I came in, Daughter was missing. The refrigerator door was unlocked. Sigh.
.
"Daughter, come here and bring the food with you."
.
Silence.
.
"Daughter, come and bring the food."
.
"Yes, Mom." She came out carrying bag of vanilla ice cream cups.
.
"How many did you eat?"
.
"Just one."
.
"Wrong. More than one is missing. Go get them and bring them here."
.
"They're gone."
.
"I know that. Bring me the empty cups."
.
She came back carrying a spoon and two empty cups.
.
"Throw out the cups and put the spoon in the dishwasher. I'm sorry I didn't keep you safe."
.
"It's not your fault! You don't understand how stressed I am!"
.
"How did that work for you?"
.
Silence.
.
She tried to insist she would starve herself to death as punishment and therefore she didn't want a hamburger. I told her she'd eat a hamburger, but there wouldn't be any chips with it, as she'd had all her carbs.
.
I never raised my voice. She isn't being deprived of food. In fact, today she had a number of special treats. I'm not mad. Just very sad, and tired.

No comments: