Friday, July 22, 2011

A Conversation

Today I took Daughter to the doctor for her 3 month check-up. Her blood sugar control is better, her weight is down, and her kidney function is down. (I'm trying to celebrate 2 out of 3.)
.
We had an interesting conversation in the car. She has continued to tell me she's not ready to be responsible, and that's why she's getting into food. So I asked her if she thought that if she wasn't responsible, that would mean she could stay with me longer because she couldn't move out while she wasn't being responsible.
.
She wasn't happy at being figured out. I tried to explain to her that the stress her irresponsibility was putting on me was going to result in her moving out sooner, not later. I also told her that if she couldn't be responsible, she'd have fewer options and might not end up in the place she'd like to be. She told me several times how scared she is. I told her if she wanted to stay with me, she'd best start showing more responsibility.
.
She apologized, telling me she didn't mean to be hard on me. Does she understand? Maybe, for the moment. Will the conversation stop the behavior? Doubtful.
.
The heat has made me cranky. It's hard to be hopeful when your cranky. It's not just the heat making me cranky: her medical assistance plan won't cover insulin pens for anyone who isn't legally blind. The doctor's office is going to try to convince them that because she has multiple people dealing with her insulin that the pen provides for more accurate dosages, but I'm not optimistic.

No comments: