Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Jealousy

Last night C came over and we cleaned out a closet and did some more work in my study. I made arrangements with her to come over if I wasn't home from a meeting in time for Daughter's bus today. Daughter pulled out all the stops today to convince me she couldn't stay at the workshop. She didn't feel good in the morning, she called when she got there, and she called when I was in my meeting (which was an hour away). I was firm-- I was sorry she wasn't feeling well, but I knew that she could make it through the day and I'd see her tonight. All these conversations were teary and she was using her most pathetic voice.
.
My meeting ended up lasting 2 1/2 hours, so I called C to be here to meet Daughter. I waited for Daughter to call me, upset that I wasn't home. She didn't. I finally called, and she sounded chipper. She was doing chores without being told. She wanted to cook supper for me, but I discouraged that. She continued to be chipper when I got home. After C left, she began sobbing, and couldn't tell me why. Suddenly I realized what was going on. "Are you jealous of C?"
.
She looked at me like I was an idiot. "Yes! I hear you in there laughing and talking and I feel left out." Right now I'm watching and coaching as she does wii bowling. I played a game with her, but she was frustrated because my score was higher, so I told her to practice.
.
I don't know why I didn't realize earlier that she was jealous. She is easily jealous. She gets jealous of the church, of family members when we're up visiting, of anyone who takes my time and attention away from her. We have an ongoing conversation about how she's my number one priority and she's the only one who can get in bed with me.
.
This evening I reminded her how frustrated we both get when we try to work together on the type of things I'm doing with C. I will also make sure I give her more undivided attention oer the next few days. I have C coming over in the evenings right now as the press is on to get ready for the open house on the 13th. Usually I can take some extra time during the day to work on open house preparations, but this year I'm juggling too many things to find any free time during the day. Losing 4 1/2 hours to the meeting today didn't help. This is a challenging time of the year to say the least.

No comments: