Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Best Laid Plans....

This afternoon was set aside for shut-in communion. Then I got a phone call. It was the bride from a wedding I had performed several years ago. She's very pregnant and her marriage is in trouble. She was sobbing. She told m her whole life was falling apart. I told her to come by this afternoon, and called and rescheduled communion for tomorrow. Imagine my surprise when she came accompanied by her mother-in-law!
.
Two hours later, she was no longer crying and had a plan. Can the marriage be saved? I don't know. I hope so. I've referred her elsewhere for long term counseling, but hopefully I gave her the support she needs to keep going until she can get an appointment.
.
I hope to take communion out tomorrow afternoon, but that means I have to get the newsletter done tonight so it is ready for final editing when I get to the office tomorrow morning. In an interview with a search committee I was asked to outline my work plan for the week. I explained to them that my plan had to be flexible, because there were always things that were going to come up that would cause me to change my plan. I really don't think they understood. If they were the one whose family crisis caused me to throw out my plans, they'd be grateful.
.
It's one of the things I both love and hate about my career-- I never know when a situation will arise that will necessitate rearranging my entire plan for the day.
.
Daughter has made it through the day without calling me! She is now on the bus on her way home. She tried to convince me she couldn't go this morning, but I wasn't buying. Then she confessed she was concerned about the absence of her supervisor, who was going to be with her husband who was having major surgery today. I reminded her that Case Manager, Old Supervisor, and Nice Guy would all be there. The thought of Nice Guy being there brought a smile to her face.
.
Daughter informed me yesterday that B and D are 9 weeks pregnant. She was excited. I'm staying silent. How did a liberal like me reach the point where I believe that some people shouldn't be allowed to have children? It will be very hard to listen to all the stories. I'm amazed their marriage has lasted almost a year. I'm sure B's adoptive parents are not thrilled about this pregnancy, either. I will keep them in my prayers, and hope that it doesn't start Daughter on another round of wanting to get married and make babies (preferably in that order).

No comments: