Thursday, August 6, 2009

Balancing Act

Right now life and ministry are requiring some balancing. Daughter is not doing as well as I would like. She threatened to take a knife up to her room and cut herself last night. Fortunately, she doesn't have access to her insulin or medication anymore, and she hasn't cut herself in years, so I'm not too concerned. It is indicative, though, of her lack of coping skills.
.
Dad's kidneys are failing, so the doctor stopped the diuretic. Stopping the diuretic is not a good thing when you're in congestive heart failure and your lungs are filling with fluid. Far Away Sister and I told Sister that this could be fatal today. She was shocked to hear that bit of news.
.
Brother insists Dad is fine and will be able to handle the open house on Saturday without any problems. He refuses to consider contingency plans. I hope he's right, but I have my doubts.
.
I have one more funeral this week, need to get a sermon done for Sunday, and needed to go to the nursing home today to visit the 3 saints still there. I've buried 3 of their friends in the last few weeks, and so I wanted to make contact with them. As expected, M was unhappy because she hadn't seen me in over a week. C & D assured me I didn't need to worry about them, and they knew I was busy. I told them all that I couldn't guarantee I'd be there next week since Dad isn't doing well.
.
Last night the power steering went out on my car. This morning I started calling dealerships looking for someone who could get it in right away and give me a loaner. It's still under warranty. One dealer wasn't willing to help at all. He said they couldn't look at it until late today and wouldn't give me a loaner until they knew what was wrong with it. The other gave me a loaner, but warned me it couldn't go out of state if they didn't have my car fixed by tomorrow. Since I need to go out of state for Dad's birthday open house, this was a bit of a concern. I called Far Away Sister, who has ties to the auto industry. Turns out Brother-in-law is visiting a corporate officer of the company that made my car this week. She told me where to start in the quest for a car I could take out of state, and promised to make some calls if that didn't work. Fortunately, I got a call this afternoon. The problem is a module they can replace tomorrow. The dealership is in the same town as the funeral, so I will pick up my car before or after the funeral, depending on when they get it done.
.
Daughter is going back and forth between sleeping and complaining this evening. It could be a very long evening with her. I need to get the funeral for tomorrow finalized tonight. I'm also working on laundry. I will finalize Sunday's sermon tomorrow morning.
.
In the midst of all of this, I'm doing well. I'm at the level of stress that forces me to think clearly, prioritize, and make effective use of my time, which I am doing. Of course, the next think I have to throw into my balancing act may be the one thing that causes me to drop everything, but for now, things are balanced.

No comments: