Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Dad

Dad is turning 80 this week, and we've planned an open house in celebration for Saturday. Unfortunately, he's back in congestive heart failure, and has been for several weeks. Far Away Sister and I are concerned that he sounds terrible. He's congested, short of breath, and showing no interest in life. The increases in diuretics have not gotten rid of any of the fluid, and at various times today the report on today's doctor's appointment has been that he gained 1 1/2 lbs, 1/2 lb, or nothing. Far Away Sister and I have been comparing notes, and it seems that the more time that passes after the appointment the more the report we gets improves.
.
Far Away Sister and I believe his life is rapidly winding down. Brother and Sister who live there seem much less concerned, or deeper in denial. I led a memorial service today for A. She never woke up from a nap on Saturday. She'd been struggling with congestive heart failure and had been in and out of the hospital much like Dad. My hope is that death will be as easy for Dad when it comes. I also hope that it isn't until after the funeral I have Friday afternoon. I will be heading out after that funeral to visit Dad. I'll see him at the party, his apartment, or the hospital, but I will be there to wish him a happy 80th birthday. I will celebrate the time I've had with him and be grateful for any time I can still have with him.

No comments: