Friday, August 28, 2009

Once Again...

Once again Dad has survived a bout of severe congestive heart failure. He now seems to be improving. He is going down to all the meals instead of having them delivered. He told Sister he'd like her to do a cook out for Labor Day, and offered to pay for the meat. He's asking for a bar to help him get in and out of bed. He's lost some weight.
.
On the other hand, he's more confused. When I call, some days he doesn't talk at all, other days he asks me the same questions we've gone over numerous times before. One of the aides at the assisted living raised a concern about whether he should be allowed to have his beer every evening. Our opinion is that if he wants one beer in the evening, let him have it. He has so few pleasures in life anymore. Since the concern was raised, they'll have to get the doctor's permission for him to continue. We're not sure what the doctor will say, but hope he will allow him to continue to enjoy his nightly beer.
.
Daughter continues to call me every morning to find out what I've heard about Granddad. It continues to be a concern and stress for her. I find myself wondering how many more twists and turns we'll have to endure on this roller coaster. I'm hoping for an extended period of smooth straight away this time....

No comments: