Monday, August 10, 2009

Lies

Daughter is supposed to clean out the litter boxes every day. Friday, as we were getting ready to leave, she said, "I'm going to go clean out the litter boxes."
.
When we got back Saturday, I said, "Make sure you clean out the litter boxes."
.
Again yesterday she supposedly cleaned out the litter boxes.
.
This morning I walked by the one in plain view and looked down. It definitely hadn't been cleaned out in several days. I informed her she had to clean it out this morning. Then I said, "I hope you've been cleaning out the others."
.
"To be honest, I haven't cleaned them, either. I'll go clean them before I go to work."
.
I get so tired of the lying. I get so tired of following her around to double check on everything. I recently discovered that when she was brushing her teeth, she wasn't using toothpaste.
.
I hope that part of this is just her grief about Grandma and worry about Grandpa. I really don't want to spend the rest of my life following her around to make sure she's doing the things she's telling me she is doing. I need to put a new battery in the alarm on her bedroom door. Her blood sugar was high this morning, so I suspect that the night raid on the kitchens have returned.

4 comments:

Miz Kizzle said...

The litter box thing I kind of understand. Who wants to clean out a litter box? But brushing without using toothpaste? What's up with that?
Could she be enticed to brush with fancy toothpaste that has sparkles in it? What about telling her that guys find green teeth and noxious breath a turnoff?

Reverend Mom said...

Sigh. I wish it were that easy. She has chosen her toothpaste, which she supposedly loves. As to guys finding it a turn off, that's the whole point. When she's feeling threatened and anxious, her hygiene deteriorates. She doesn't want to be attractive-- she wants to keep people away from herself. The lies are part of it, too. They keep people at a distance, and then she feels like she is living in a protective bubble.

Linda B said...

I have a really hard time getting our 13 yr old to brush teeth. One thing that worked for a little while was getting that Agent Cool Blue that you rinse your mouth with before you brush. Then you brush off all the blue. It's supposed to be darker where there's more plaque. Like I said, it worked for awhile here...he hates brushing. Maybe worth a try for daughter? Just an idea I thought I'd throw out to you. Our 17 yr old who is in residential right now is an excellant liar. I feel bad that I automatically wonder if she's lying when anything comes out of her mouth. We suspect there are things she has lied about so much that she now believes them to be true.

Reverend Mom said...

I've never heard of Agent Cool Blue. I'm going to have to check it out. Thanks!

I think dealing with the lies is the hardest part of adopting special needs kids. Like mine, your daughter probably doesn't know what is true anymore. It's just so sad...