Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Shifting My Focus

Years ago, when I was directing junior choir, there was one little boy who was ADHD to the core. He could not sit still. I would have him come up and stand next to me while I directed. I'd direct with one hand and hold his hand with the other. That little boy is now a senior in high school. This summer I got a call from his Mom. He had freaked her out by telling her he thought God might be calling him to missionary work. I've been bugging him to come talk to me ever since, and this evening we finally sat down to talk.
.
He's not sure what God wants of him, and now he's talking about joining the marines. He's a very intelligent young man, and is scared by the thought that God might be calling him into some form of ministry. I can relate. It is a scary thought. I gave him some resources and pointed him to our denomination's website for additional information. I suggested he do a volunteer year after high school before deciding to join the marines. I'm sure the conversation will continue, but it was fun to be able to talk to him about possibilities and God's call on his life.
.
I'm going to focus on that and forget all about the other stuff for now. I have an outreach committee meeting for tonight. It will be another welcome diversion.

No comments: