Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Should I Be Concerned?

Daughter rushed in from the workshop today and changed for softball practice. She practiced for 90 minutes in the heat, and after the practice was quite pleased with herself for actually chasing balls hit in her direction in the outfield. Some of the other women just stood there watching the birds or something (but definitely not the ball). We went to a restaurant for supper, and then headed home.
.
We weren't even out of town when she was moaning beside me.
.
"What's wrong?"
.
"I have a really bad headache."
.
"How long have you had it?"
.
"Since I was at the workshop." At this point I decide that if she could play softball with no problem the headache can't be that bad. Then she begins to cry, first quietly, then when I didn't react, more loudly.
.
"What's wrong?"
.
"My head and stomach hurt really bad."
.
"I'm sorry you don't feel good."
.
"And I have housework to do when I get home."
.
I remained silent, and she reached over and grabbed my right arm. She put her head on my shoulder and wrapped her arms around my arm. She stopped crying, and by the time we got home came in the house and got busy with her chores. I worry that someday she will really be sick and I won't believe her. I was really beginning to wonder what horrible disease she might have as she sat sobbing next to me. I wouldn't have thought contact with my right arm could cure it, but apparently it did.

No comments: