Wednesday, August 19, 2009

So Much for the Conversation

Dad is not in good shape. The doctor took one look at him and said he was admitting him to the hospital. Brother tried to talk to the doctor about the situation, but Sister resisted the conversation. Dad is in the hospital. If the IV diuretics don't get the fluid off, they're talking about doing kidney dialysis.
.
His lungs are full of fluid. He's cold and clammy. I'm not sure he's strong enough to survive dialysis. I do know it's much easier to make the decision not to start something like a feeding tube or a ventilator or dialysis than it is to stop it.
.
Far Away Sister told me that Sister isn't comfortable with hospice. I'm not sure why. She was comfortable with it for Mom. I wish we'd had this conversation with Dad 5 years ago.

3 comments:

Mama Drama Times Two said...

Have stopped in at your blog a few times - I am so sorry to hear about your Dad's recent decline. Wishing you both peace and comfort.

Anonymous said...

He's declining so fast! I truly believe that people can and do call the time of their own deaths. I watched it happen here and it was obviously true. Hospice is so helpful during these times that I don't understand the motivation behind the "not comfortable with Hospice" position. These family decisions are so very difficult! Maeve

I'm so sorry you're having to experience this difficult time.

Reverend Mom said...

Mama,
Thank you.

Maeve,
I don't understand, either, but I'm trying hard to allow her time to work things through.