Sunday, August 30, 2009

Watching Weight

When Dad was discharged from the hospital last Monday, he had about 60 pounds of fluid weight. When he went to the doctor on Wednesday, he'd lost 5 pounds, and we celebrated. But then on Friday he'd gained 10 pounds. Yesterday he'd gained 5 more, and the doctor doubled his diuretic. So after a double dose of diuretic yesterday and today, he's only up 4.5 pounds today. Basically, he's now up to about 75 pounds of fluid.
.
Next Sunday is our Big Event. Far Away Sister and I were just talking about when he'd have to die in order to have the service next weekend. If Dad dies this week, I'm just not sure I'll be up to the Big Event next Sunday. I've sent an email to a minister who might be here next Sunday morning, to see if he would be willing to step in if my Dad does die. I'm back to worrying about scheduling anything and wondering if this will be the day when I get the phone call. Of course, he could rally again and go for months or years. The doctor is planning to start him back on the diuretic that always causes his kidneys to fail.
.
When I talked to Dad today, he was congested and not real with it. It was a brief conversation. On a more humorous note, Sister was there when they checked his blood sugar before supper. She said the conversation reminded her of one of my conversations with Daughter. His blood sugar was very high.
.
"What have you been eating?"
.
"Nothing!"
.
"Did you eat some candy?"
.
"No."
.
"Are you sure?"
.
Sister thought it was very amusing. Dad got a lecture on what he could and couldn't have for supper. Sister said he was very meek. I wonder if he was obedient when he got down to the dining room....

No comments: